rpi_gpio is a Dart package for accessing the Raspberry Pi GPIO pins.
The Gpio library provides the API for accessing the various General Purpose I/O pins on the Raspberry Pi.
RpiGpio accesses the GPIO pins using a native library written in C. For security reasons, authors cannot publish binary content to pub.dartlang.org, so there are some extra steps necessary to compile the native library on the RPi before this package can be used. These two steps must be performed when you install and each time you upgrade the rpi_gpio package.
- Activate the rpi_gpio package using the pub global command.
pub global activate rpi_gpio
- From your application directory (the application that references the rpi_gpio package) run the following command to build the native library
pub global run rpi_gpio:build_lib
pub global activate makes the Dart scripts in the rpi_gpio/bin directory runnable from the command line. pub global run rpi_gpio:build_lib runs the rpi_gpio/bin/build_lib.dart program which in turn calls the build_lib script to compile the native librpi_gpio_ext.so library for the rpi_gpio package.
A blinking LED example demonstrates GPIO output by flashing an LED.
A read example demonstrates GPIO input by reading the current value for multiple pins.
A second read example demonstrates mocking the hardware so that the logic can be run and tested on platforms other than the Raspberry Pi.
A button example demonstrates reacting to GPIO input by turning on an LED whenever a button is pressed.
- BREAKING CHANGES rework and simplify API
- Upgrade for pre-2.0 and fix analyzer issues
- Format dart code using dartfmt
- BREAKING CHANGES so that the rpi_gpio package much more closely matches fletch gpio package
- Removed GpioHardware.pinMode in favor of GPIO.setMode
- Removed GpioHardware.digitalRead in favor of GPIO.getPin
- Removed GpioHardware.digitalWrite in favor of GPIO.setPin
- Removed Mode.pulsed in favor of Mode.output and pulseWidth
- Removed GpioHardware.enableInterrupt in favor of RpiGPIO.setTrigger
- Removed PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) support for pins other than pin 1
- Removed top level input, output, pulsed const
- Removed top level pullup, pulldown, pullOff const
- Removed Gpio.pin method in favor of top level pin function
- Removed RpiGPIO.gpioNum and Pin.gpioNum in favor of RpiGPIO.description
- Moved classes similar to fletch gpio package into gpio.dart library
- Moved Pin and related code into new gpio_pins.dart library
- Renamed PinMode to Mode
- Renamed PinPull to Pull
- Renamed GpioException to GPIOException
- Renamed GpioHardware to RpiGPIO
- Renamed RpiHardware to WiringPiGPIO
- Renamed MockHardware to MockGPIO
- Renamed RecordingHardware to RecordingGPIO
- Renamed RpiGPIO.pullUpDnControl to setPull
- Renamed RpiGPIO.pwmWrite to setPulseWidth
- Changed Pin.events from getter to a method that takes an optional parameter
- Changed Pin.value and PinEvent.value from int to bool
- Changed Gpio.hardware= to Pin.gpio=
- Added optional RpiGPIO.description method
- Added Mode.other to match fletch gpio package
- Added abstract GPIO class to match fletch gpio package
- Update wiringPi native code for Pi v2
- Add top level pin function and deprecated Gpio.pin method
- Add gpioNum method to return GPIO number for pin
- Rework isRaspberryPi to check /etc/os-release
- Rework and simplify examples
- Fix bug to track both rising and falling interrupt edge
- Fix bug that prevented application from completing normally when interrupts were used
- Switch tests to use package:test rather than package:unittest
- Fix read, polling, and interrupts examples to wait for rpi.loadLibrary() before proceeding.
- Support for interrupts via Pin.events
- Rename pin to pinNum
- Improve build native library script
- Rename repo to danrubel/rpi_gpio.dart
- Read and write digital values
- Hardware pulse width modulation on pin 1
- Software simulated pwm for other pins (work in progress)
Use this package as a library
1. Depend on it
Add this to your package's pubspec.yaml file:
dependencies: rpi_gpio: ^0.4.0-dev.1
2. Install it
You can install packages from the command line:
$ pub get
$ flutter pub get
Alternatively, your editor might support
pub get or
flutter pub get.
Check the docs for your editor to learn more.
3. Import it
Now in your Dart code, you can use:
Describes how popular the package is relative to other packages. [more]
Code health derived from static analysis. [more]
Reflects how tidy and up-to-date the package is. [more]
Weighted score of the above. [more]
We analyzed this package on May 8, 2020, and provided a score, details, and suggestions below. Analysis was completed with status completed using:
- Dart: 2.8.1
- pana: 0.13.8-dev
lib/rpi_gpio.dart. (-8.17 points)
lib/rpi_gpio.dart reported 17 hints, including:
line 13 col 32: Unnecessary new keyword.
line 18 col 7: DO use curly braces for all flow control structures.
line 18 col 13: Unnecessary new keyword.
line 22 col 7: DO use curly braces for all flow control structures.
line 22 col 13: Unnecessary new keyword.
bin/build_lib.dart. (-4.41 points)
bin/build_lib.dart reported 9 hints, including:
line 11 col 17: Unnecessary new keyword.
line 14 col 14: Unnecessary new keyword.
line 25 col 22: Unnecessary new keyword.
line 29 col 15: Unnecessary new keyword.
line 33 col 22: Unnecessary new keyword.
lib/gpio.dart. (-3.45 points)
lib/gpio.dart reported 7 hints, including:
line 34 col 13: Unnecessary new keyword.
line 37 col 13: Unnecessary new keyword.
line 47 col 7: DO use curly braces for all flow control structures.
line 47 col 13: Unnecessary new keyword.
line 50 col 30: Unnecessary new keyword.
lib/src/gpio_const.dart. (-1 points)
lib/src/gpio_const.dart reported 2 hints:
line 3 col 27: Avoid const keyword.
line 45 col 23: Avoid const keyword.
Package is getting outdated. (-70.68 points)
The package was last published 89 weeks ago.
Package is pre-release. (-5 points)
Pre-release versions should be used with caution; their API can change in breaking ways.
Maintain an example.
None of the files in the package's
example/ directory matches known example patterns.
Common filename patterns include
rpi_gpio.dart. Packages with multiple examples should provide
For more information see the pub package layout conventions.